Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Regular Old Inspiration

And then, there's a lot to be said about just getting outside and wandering around. I just bought myself a pretty, blue camera ~ a Canon PowerShot SD1100 IS ~ and it comes with me everywhere I go. And I tend to go all over the place. Lately, I've been stopping by all the gardens, arboretums, and parks I can find. One of my favorite destinations is Oatlands House & Gardens in Leesburg, VA.

Both a National Trust Historic Site and a National Historic Landmark, Oatlands has a big mansion you can tour (yawn), a walled garden with acres of "secret" walkways (yippee) and a tomb! Very spooky.

The century-old Japanese maple trees are not to be missed. From a distance, they look like just a fuzzy canopy of green ~ but you have to get right underneath for this view. I highly recommend doing this if you're heart aches for something gorgeous to look at.

If you're an artist, you can sign up at the Carriage House and they'll let you walk the grounds for free. Otherwise, inspiration is $6 a pop.

No comments:

Post a Comment